Those who prefer to do home renovations by themselves can find it overwhelming. Some love the feeling of accomplishing something that seemed impossible, while others may swear never to do such a project ever again. Individuals who go through home renovation projects successfully achieve a home that they are proud of. You also need to be careful with where you source the supplies you need during the renovation. Review sites, including Britainreviews.co.uk, will be critical in helping you find trustworthy suppliers. They will, for example, allow you to have a look at list of electricity suppliers UK reviews. From the reviews, you will avoid companies that have been previously negatively reviewed. This way, you will end up with reputable suppliers. This article seeks to help the process of managing a home renovation to be as hassle-free as possible by offering some important tips
Have a budget
A major reason that makes home renovation projects fail is running out of cash. If it happens, it can be challenging both emotionally and practically. A majority of people who have successfully completed their home renovation projects mostly point out that it cost them a bit more than they initially thought it would. It is thus important that you give some allowance in your budget in case material needed or some other factors cause the cost to go above what you had planned. The key to having a realistic budget is working out the total amount you can raise for the project and then using this amount to guide the design of the house renovations you plan. Avoid trying to fit an insufficient budget in an overambitious scheme. The total amount should have an allowance of about 10% of the build cost for covering unanticipated circumstances.
The assessment stages
Typically, the assessing stage should include evaluating a building’s structural quality. You should also look for any defects in your home that you hadn’t seen and add them to your planned renovations at this stage. The best way to approach this step is to find a professional surveyor to come and do a full assessment of the house. Typically, this will cost about €500 to €1500. The major areas which need to be assessed include:
- The method of construction
The planning stage
This involves figuring out the changes you want to make. The following steps will guide you in the planning stage.
- Have a list of your ideas: Break down the renovations you need to make according to the rooms of your house you want to focus on. If, for example, it’s the kitchen. You may be wanting to:
- Have a new kitchen top installed
- Have the doors repainted
- Install new connection for electric appliances including new switches
- Refinish and sand floorboards
- Have the plumbing redone
Do the same for every room that you’re planning to renovate. In the end, you’ll have a list of each modification you need to make.
- Prioritise group and order: Normally, some aspects of your renovation will require to be completed before others. For example, plumbing and wiring should come before laying the floor. Break down the list according to priority. At last, you should have a list of the roles that need to be accomplished first.
- Have a detailed plan: After knowing all the areas, you need to overhaul in your home, get started figuring out the steps you ought to make in your renovation’s plan a more complex layout.
The regulation stage
There are regulatory requirements that you need to satisfy before you can start your construction work. You need your local authority to give you consent by applying for planning authorisation. Some home renovations don’t require planning authorisation, but you don’t need to assume; always contact your council to know if yours will need one. The application should include:
- An access and design statement
- Copies of your application form
- An ownership certificate that is signed
- The application fees
- A site plan, with all details of each change you are planning to make
The construction stage
While you may be confident to do some basic repairs by yourself. Bigger projects will require you to hire the services of professional contractors. While hiring a contractor, you need to be careful, important factors to put into consideration include:
- Get recommendations from people who have done home renovations before
- Go for contractors with good online ratings and reviews
In conclusion, while managing home renovations can be challenging, this article seeks to simplify it by offering tips and the process to follow.